Quartz sand filter media is free of impurities, resistant to compression and abrasion, high in mechanical strength, chemically stable, and has strong pollutant interception ability. It has high efficiency, and long service life, and is suitable for single-layer and double-layer filter pools, filters, and ion exchangers. All indicators meet the standards of CJ/T43-2009.
There are various types of processed quartz sand available, such as refined quartz sand, pure white quartz sand, acid treatment agent, and ordinary quartz sand, which can meet the different usage requirements of users. It is processed from natural quartz mines through processes such as crushing, screening, and water washing. It has a multi-faceted, spherical appearance, is pure white, and has the advantages of high mechanical strength, strong pollutant interception ability, and good acid and alkali resistance.
The four identification methods of powdered sand are as follows:
1. Observation of particle size: Most particles are similar in size to millet flour.
2. State during drying: A small part of the particles are dispersed, while the majority are agglomerated.
3. State after hand patting when wet: There is significant flocculation on the surface.
4. Adhesion level: There is a slight sense of stickiness.
Understanding Quartz Sand
Quartz sand is composed of crushed quartz particles from quartz stone. Quartz stone is a non-metallic mineral that is a hard, wear-resistant and chemically stable silicate mineral. The color of quartz sand is milky white or colorless and translucent, with a Mohs hardness of 7.
Quartz sand is an important industrial mineral raw material that is not a chemical hazard and is widely used in various industries such as glassmaking, casting, ceramics, fireproof materials, smelting of ferrosilicon, metallurgical fluxes, metallurgy, construction, chemical industry, plastics, rubber, abrasives, filter media, and others.
The unique physical and chemical properties of quartz sand give it a crucial role in the aerospace, electronic, mechanical, and rapidly developing IT industries, especially its inherent molecular chain structure, crystal shape, and lattice change laws, which give it high-temperature resistance, low thermal expansion coefficient, high insulation, corrosion resistance, piezoelectric effect, resonance effect, and unique optical properties that play an increasingly important role in many high-tech products.
Exploring the Many Uses of Quartz Sand Filters
● Glass Industry: Main raw materials for flat glass, float glass, glass products (glass jars, glass bottles, glass tubes, etc.), optical glass, glass fiber, glass instruments, conductive glass, glass cloth, and special glass for radiation protection.
● Ceramics: Raw materials and glazes for ceramics and refractory materials, raw materials for high-silicon bricks, ordinary silicon bricks, and silicon carbide for kilns, as well as materials or additives for smelting ferrosilicon, silicon-iron alloys, and silicon-aluminum alloys. It is also used in concrete, cementitious materials, road materials, artificial marble, and as a physical property testing material for cement (i.e. cement standard sand).
● Chemical Industry: Main raw materials, grinding materials (sandblasting, hard grinding paper, sandpaper, sand cloth, etc.), sand removal, rust removal, and oxide removal treatment.
● Electronics: High-purity metal silicon, communication optical fibers, etc.
● Rubber and plastic fillers: Increases wear resistance.
● Coating fillers: Improves the weather resistance of coatings.
In addition, it is used for sand removal, rust removal, strengthening, forming, stress relief, surface cleaning, painting of various profiles, roughness (brushing) pre-treatment before electroplating, stone cutting, magnetic shot casting, etc.
As an additive for heavy concrete and blast furnace refractory materials, it increases their wear resistance, high-temperature resistance, erosion resistance, electrostatic shielding, and radiation protection, and is used for oil well filter tanks, counterweights, etc.
High-quality quartz sand is used for the surface treatment of granite and marble and is specially designed and produced for sports venues. It has the characteristics of high hardness, large specific gravity, uniform particle size, small edges and corners, and natural color. It minimizes damage to artificial turf and protects grass blades, making the turf more durable. It has been widely used in sports venues of many domestic universities and is an ideal material for modern artificial fields such as athletics tracks, football fields, and golf courses.
Water Treatment Filter Media
Due to the smaller particle size of quartz sand in the three-layer filter bed compared to the two-layer filter bed, and the presence of a layer of finer heavy anthracite filter media below the quartz sand layer, under otherwise similar conditions, the water quality of the filtered water from the three-layer filter media filter tank is better than that of the two-layer filter media filter tank, even when the filtration rate is slightly higher. When using quartz sand, it is recommended to use it in combination with other filter media.
Most of China’s sewage treatment plants implement the Class B standard of the “Pollutant Discharge Standard for Urban Wastewater Treatment Plants while implementing the Class A standard can significantly remove phosphorus and nitrogen from wastewater and reduce pollution to the receiving water bodies. The treated water can be used for recycling, solving the problem of water scarcity in some parts of China.
Quartz Sand Filter
The effluent from the sewage treatment plant enters the bottom of the filter through the inlet pipe and passes through the filter layer from top to bottom after being evenly distributed by the water distributor. During this process, pollutants in the effluent are filtered out. At the same time, the concentration of pollutants in the quartz sand filter increases, and the lower layer of filter media has a higher degree of pollution than the upper layer.
At this point, the air pump located in the center of the filter is opened to lift the lower layer of quartz sand filter media to the sand washer at the top of the filter for cleaning. After the sand is cleaned, it returns to the filter bed, and the pollutants generated during cleaning are discharged.
The quartz sand filter media moves from top to bottom under the action of a high-pressure pump, which has a stirring effect on the effluent. The filter media in the filter can be cleaned in time, and it has strong resistance to pollution load impact. The unique internal structure and operating characteristics of the quartz sand filter enable coagulation, clarification, and filtration to be completed in the same pool.
Technical Features of the Quartz Sand Filter
(1) The quartz sand filter media layer is thick, the filter tank is deep, and the civil construction cost is high. The filtration efficiency is high, and there is no need to stop backwashing, so the operating cost is low.
Quartz sand filter material is a widely used and large-scale water purification material in the water treatment industry, which is made of natural quartz ore as raw material and processed by crushing water washing, and fine screening.
It is free of impurities, resistant to compression and wear, with high mechanical strength, stable chemical properties, strong pollutant interception ability, high efficiency, long service life, and suitable for single-layer, double-layer filter tanks, filters, and ion exchangers, with all indicators meeting the (CJ/T43-2005) standard.
It is mainly used in sewage treatment and can be used for three to five years without problems, as long as quartz sand loss is prevented. Pollution is not a problem because, in sewage treatment, sludge can undergo aerobic or anaerobic respiration to degrade pollutants in the wastewater.
(2) The activated sand filter is a continuous filtration device that integrates coagulation, clarification, and filtration. It is widely used in the fields of drinking water, industrial water, sewage treatment, and reclaimed water treatment.
The system uses an up-flow fluidized bed filtration principle and a single homogeneous filter material, and filtration and sand washing are carried out simultaneously. It can operate 24 hours a day automatically, and the ingenious sand lifting and washing structure replaces the traditional high-power backwash system, resulting in extremely low energy consumption.
Therefore, upgrading urban sewage treatment plants to meet higher standards is a requirement for water environmental protection and a requirement for energy conservation and emission reduction proposed by the country.