Nowadays, more and more families are using softeners to filter household drinking water. Because it is low cost and easy to install and maintain, it is an effective way to remove minerals from raw water such as well water and tap water. So how do you install your water softener? We give you a complete installation guide for water softener system installation.
➯What is a Water Softener？
Ion exchange water softener with fully automatic softener control. The principle of ion exchange is used to effectively replace the incoming water when passing through softening media such as resin, remove calcium and magnesium ions from the water, and reduce the hardness of the original water to achieve the purpose of softening hard water.
Softening water can reduce the formation of scale. Reduce the safety hazards caused by scale and the loss of other household appliances, and extend the service life. In addition, soft water tastes better than hard water and is healthier for the body.
➯5 Steps to Help You Achieve Water Softener Installation
I. Choosing the Installation Location for Water Softening Equipment
● The system should be as close to the drainage as possible.
● The installation location should be reserved if other water treatment facilities are needed.
● Because salt needs to be added to the salt tank frequently, the location of the salt should be considered.
● Do not install the softened water equipment within 3 meters from the boiler (the softened water outlet and the boiler water inlet), otherwise, the hot water will flow back into the softened water equipment and damage the equipment.
The device should be placed in an environment where the room temperature is below 1°C and above 49°C. Keep away from acidic substances and sour gas environments.
II. The Connection of Pipeline for Water Softening Equipment
Water softener installation diagram：
1. The connection of the piping system shall comply with the “Construction Standards for Water Supply and Drainage Pipelines.
2. Connect the inlet and outlet pipes according to the control caliber.
3. The inlet and outlet pipes should be equipped with manual valves and a bypass valve should be installed between the outlet pipes. One is to facilitate the discharge of residues during the installation and welding process, so as not to pollute the resin; the other is to facilitate maintenance.
4. A sampling valve should be installed at the water outlet, and a Y-type filter is recommended for the water inlet pipe.
5. The length of the drain pipe should be shortened as much as possible (<6 meters), and all kinds of valves are not allowed to be installed. During the installation process, only Teflon tape can be used for sealing.
6. There must be a space between the drainage pipe and the water surface of the drainage channel to avoid the siphon phenomenon.
7. Independent supports must be set up between each pipeline, and the gravity and stress of the pipeline are not allowed to be transmitted to the control valve.
III. Electrical Connection of Water Softening Equipment
● All electrical connections must comply with electrical construction specifications.
● Confirm that the electrical parameters of the controller are consistent with the power supply.
● There must be an independent power outlet.
IV. Installation of Water Distributor and Central Pipe of Softened Water Equipment
1. Use PVC glue to bond the central pipe and the water distributor seat together.
2. Insert the bonded central tube into the resin tank.
3. Tighten the branch pipe of the water distributor on the seat of the water distributor.
4. After the installation of the water distributor is completed, the central pipe should stand vertically in the center of the exchange tank, and then cut off the PVC pipe that is higher than the level of the tank mouth.
5. Put the resin tank in the selected position. Glue the central pipe and the lower water distributor firmly with glue, and insert the central pipe into the resin tank with the lower water distributor facing down. The height of the central pipe and the lower water distributor should be flush with the mouth of the tank. Cut off the excess central tube. Note that the top of the center tube should be smooth and free of burrs. Take out the center tube.
6. Resin is added to the resin tank and cannot be filled up. The reserved space is the backwashing space of the resin, and the height is about 40%-60% of the resin layer height.
7. Put the upper water distributor on the core pipe, or fix the upper water distributor to the bottom of the control valve first. Note that no matter where the upper water distributor is placed, it should be ensured that it will not fall down and cause the resin to escape.
8. Insert the center tube into the bottom of the control valve. Note: the center line must pass through the O-ring inside, and apply a water-insoluble lubricant before screwing it into the valve to avoid damage to the sealing ring. Fix the upper water distributor on the multi-way valve.
V. Softened Water Equipment Installation Requirements
1. The foundation needs to be level, and a floor drain should be installed to drain the recycled wastewater. An independent power socket should be provided near the equipment.
2. Keep the water inlet pressure at 1.0-1.5KG/CM².
3. The salt tank should be close to the exchange tank, and the shorter the salt suction pipe, the better.
4. A Y-shaped filter and a water meter should be installed on the water inlet pipe, and a sampling port should be set at the water outlet.
5. Manual valves should be installed on the water inlet and outlet pipes, and bypass valves should be installed between the water inlet and outlet to continue the water supply during regeneration or maintenance.
6. If the water pressure at the water inlet is lower than 0.2MPa, an automatic booster pump should be added.
7. The salt in the salt box is required to be industrial salt or special salt for softening, and iodized salt and calcium salt are not allowed. In order to ensure that the concentration of the salt solution in the salt box can reach saturation, firstly, the dissolution time should be ensured not less than 6 hours, and it should be regenerated forcibly before the first use.
8. When the hardness of the raw water is >6 mmol/L, the type selection of 1-2 levels should be increased.
9. The pipeline must be flushed before use to prevent impurities from clogging the valve body and polluting the resin.
10. Antifreeze measures should be added to softened water equipment in winter in the north.
➯Why do You Should Install a Water Softener?
Calcium ions in hard water can easily form solid calcium carbonate (i.e. scale), which will bring a lot of trouble to human daily life. After installing a water softener, washing with soft water can reduce the amount of detergent and reduce water stain residues; you no longer need to use chemical softeners during laundry to maintain the color of clothes; and extend the life of home appliances. Avoid maintenance problems caused by equipment blockage and aging of household appliances.
➯What Can a Water Softening System Remove?
Water softeners are installed primarily to remove calcium and magnesium ions from the water and replace them with trace amounts of sodium.
While filtering unclean substances in the water, softens the hard water and improves the feel and taste of the water. In addition to removing calcium and magnesium ions, water softeners can also remove dissolved iron and manganese from the water.
The water filtered by the water softener is not very high compared to the water purifier. If you need higher quality water it is best to install a water purifier.
The water purifier can not only effectively remove minerals, odors, rust, bacteria, microorganisms, viruses, colloids, etc. from the water, but also retain minerals useful to the human body. Ensure the safety of drinking water and improve the taste.
➯Where to Install Water Softener？
1. Depending on the user’s specific conditions, indoor or outdoor installation can be selected;
2. Please refer to the installation diagram of each model for the installation space;
3. The installation must have a water source, power supply, and sewage pipes;
4. Installation location: It can be installed in pipe rooms, outdoors, water meter rooms, equipment balconies, kitchens, bathrooms, cabinets, and other locations where equipment can be permanently placed;
5. Place the equipment as close to the ground as possible, and the ground should be flat and solid;
If you still don’t know how to install a water softener then we finally recommend that you work with a professional water softener expert. You can submit your needs to a professional engineer before purchasing a water softening system and choose the best water softening filter after getting water quality analysis and equipment recommendations. You can ask the supplier to provide you with on-site installation and post-maintenance services, so you don’t need to worry about water softener installation.
NEWater has been engaged in the water treatment industry for 20 years. We specialize in providing our customers with one-stop water treatment systems, from design to installation to maintenance. All our products, such as dual tank water softeners, commercial water softener systems, industrial water softener systems, and water softener tanks, come with a one-year quality guarantee.
Contact us today to get the best water softener system solution for you.